25.7.11

A State of Design

Fed Square :: Level 3 Carpark

One thing I love about Melbourne is there is always something on. Last weekend, the annual State of Design Festival just started and will go on for about a month. During this month, there will be (design related) conferences, shows, workshops, exhibitions and artistic installations across city of Melbourne. One of the highlights of this year's State of Design is Look.Stop.Shop.

Look.Stop.Shop is a round-the-clock, program using design to promote a safe, vibrant and inclusive city as it moves from day to night. Walk a trail that will take you through Melbourne’s city centre to experience a series of inspiring installations by design-minded businesses.

This selected group of retailers has created unique window displays and in-store installations around this years’ Festival theme, Design that Moves. Participants include a broad range of traders from small independent boutiques, designer-owned and operated spaces and pop-up shops to department stores carrying everything from fashion, books, and lighting to objects. With many installations located in street-level stores, this diverse retail landscape provides 24 hour viewing.

Over the weekend, I managed to pop into the city and checked out the Design Trade Show. It seems like there are more exhibitors this year. I couldn't help but to take notes on some of the products on sale here. The idea on those products are very interesting. I was thinking of how I could manipulate those ideas to make them work with furniture or artwork which is more my style. Who knows, maybe I might start designing furniture. I do need furniture for the new house anyway so why not design it myself.

Apart from the Trade Show, I managed to also check out the Design:Market at Fed Square. Even though it was raining outside, this place was packed with, ermm, designers, posers... whatever you wanna call it. I prefer posers. People seem to have a different attitude in this space (myself included) don't know why. Some of them are alright though.

Stuff here are predominantly made by local designers. Hand made scarfs, beanies, jewellery etc. Typical over priced stuff if you ask me. However, some of them are pretty interesting. I didn't really spend too much money here, only a few hundred.

Not much, only $390 for a pair of  Duckfeet

Posers?

I couldn't help myself - I bought the dark (army) green. Tempted to get the red one too... 
Check out Tie-Ups

BYO Coffee cups

No comments: